Thursday, October 14, 2010

How do I obtain an EU passport? I am a US citizen looking for work in Germany.


How do I obtain an EU passport? I am a US citizen looking for work in Germany.
My great grandfather came from Germany. I understand that in order to obtain an EU passport you need to be able to prove your family came from Germany or other EU country. However, I'm not sure if Great-Grandfather qualifies...due to it being so long ago.
Immigration - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I do not think you qualify but do you realize that you would have to give up your US citizenship?
2 :
Great-grandfather does not qualify. Also the below answer is incorrect; you would not lose your US citizenship by accepting nationality of an EU member state. So how do you obtain an EU passport? Marry and EU national and wait a number of years, depending on your country of residence.
3 :
You would have to try to get a work permit in Germany and then live there for 8 years before you can apply for citizenship. You also have to speak German which you probably would by then as well as you would have to fill some other requirements. You would have to renounce your US citizenship to get a German one. The member countries of the EU all have their own laws. Some will allow dual citizenship and some not. Germany will not.