Sunday, November 14, 2010

I want to move to Berlin, Germany... where should I look for work


I want to move to Berlin, Germany... where should I look for work?
I'm a single mother trying to find work in Germany, I am a native German. I don't want to work for a private corporation because I've heard that they fire ppl a lot, and as i said I'm a single mother who sometimes needs to take off work. So do you know the names of some government corporations? I would be good as some sort of Secretary. I don't have a college degree, I'm in my late 30's.
Other - Germany - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I would suggest, especially for your situation where you need flexibility, that you sign on with Manpower in Berlin. Manpower has a huge presence in Germany. You could get work right away.
2 :
Well, you mention you don't have a college degree and that you "would be good" as a secretary. Do you have some sort of apprenticeship? Have you ever worked in Germany? I gather, since you say you are a native German, that you speak both English and German fluently, which should give you an advantage. As for looking for jobs: Try monster.de, jobsector,... even do consider job share companies. State institutions are not better than private corporations nowadays. Most people on "lower" levels (secretaries, people just starting their carreer there, or people left over after thelatests round of "verbeamtung") are just employees like the rest of us, with just the same level of job security. Of course, there is always the "Arbeitsamt" or the "Agentur für Arbeit", as it is called now. Needless to say, right now it is very difficult to find a job. Berlin, Munich, Frankfurt, the usual suspects to find jobs, are also the places most people turn to right now. Anyway, good luck!
3 :
Have a look at website Kijiji/Berlin.de they advertise tons of jobs. I think it is best to visit Berlin a few times and decide on a place to live and then apply at the local Arbeitsampt. You are a native German, so you should have no problems!
4 :
In the link below you will find a number of jobs in public service in Berlin.There are two or three jobs for secretaries, but they require you at least to have finished an apprenticeship for Buerokauffrau etc.
5 :
If you ever umemployed, take a look here www.2bcu.info/jobonline and theres a high chance you'll find the right job.